Daughter recounts how flesh-eating bacteria took father’s life within 48-hours

in Florida News & Events


In less than 48 hours, Cheryl Wiygul said her father was gone.

The family was swimming at a beach in Destin, Florida, when it happened. According to Cheryl Wiygul’s Facebook post, they were rumblings of a possible bacteria issue in the area but it seemed the stories were unfounded, so they made some precautions, and ultimately, had a lovely day in the water.

“We were taking precautions and we were good, so I thought,” she wrote.

It wasn’t until the next day that her father, William Bennett, who battled cancer in the past, was suffering from chills and a fever. Knowing that people with compromised immune systems and open wounds are the most susceptible to bacterial infections in open water, Wiygul suggested her father go see a doctor just in case.